Thursday, October 29, 2009

The good in the bad!

I got thrown for a loop last week, I was on my way to Hamilton (I know! My city :)) to meet with my advisor coach and my car started making a really odd noise. It almost sounded like I was driving a race car too fast but I was going slowly in traffic. It started getting worse so I pulled over to see what was up. I popped my hood, didn't smell anything funky, didn't see anything out of place so I decided to drive again and deal with the issue later.

Too bad my car wouldn't drive :( I couldn't even get it into gear. I sat on the highway searching my car for my CAA card, no luck. Did you know that if you call CAA and you don't have your card they can still pull up your account? I wish I knew that before I called them because I was freaking out! Even though my car was not working and I was stuck in Hamilton I decided to not let these things ruin my day.

I saw this as an opportunity to meet some new people!

I met a nice police officer, she ended up stopping and waiting for me to get my tow truck. She was very helpful and made sure I was good to go before she left.

I met the tow truck driver who was a nice guy and he took me to a great auto shop to get my car fixed. We chatted the whole way and had a lot in common.

Then I met the head mechanic at the shop. He was a nice guy and seemed to know what was wrong with my car. Transmission...UGH! I knew it was going to be expensive. But as the old saying goes "Shit happens!" and it most certainly does! He ended up staying 30 mins late to let me pick up my car on the Friday which was very nice of him. He fixed my car up to tip top shape and now it's running better than it ever did!

Since I was in Hamilton I had to wait an hour or so for Megan to pick me up. Rather than waste my time and be bored for an hour. I struck up a conversation with the owner of the auto sales part of the shop. She was super nice! We talked for the whole hour about her business, her kids, her marriage, and how she percieved the world and having children at a young age. She was great and she made my day!

Notice my attitude? Something really crappy and expensive happened to me that day but shit happens. I wasn't going to let it get me down because what's the point? I've got more important things to think about then being miserable. I made the best of what I was given that day and I see it as more like "shit happens for a reason." Maybe it didn't get me any more business than I have now, but it did allow me to practice talking to people.

That's the power of a positive attitude, you don't have to be all sunshine and rainbows all the time. You just need to see the opportunities in bad situations. Because with bad situations always lies a greater opportunity, you just have to have your eyes open so you can see it.

So I challenge you. When life throws you a curve ball just hit it outta the park!


Mike Hamilton




0 comments: